Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Starting Small - Squiggle Project #1

As I mentioned in my second post - I picked up a copy of 365 - A Daily Creative Journal by Noah Scalin.  And since I was intrigued enough to actually buy the book I figured I should actually use it to keep the creative process moving.  Again, I know for a fact I won't be able to keep up with the "make something every day" but I'm using the book as a tool to think outside of my box a bit - therefore it won't be every day and I'll be jumping around the book.  I do intend to keep with the theme of my signature 'squiggle' designs as I work my way through the book - I even went as far as to put sticky notes on the days/projects that I felt were feasible based on my personality, time & space. :-) 
So... here we go.

My first project (Day 1), was to start small - literally.
The project for was to make something that fits in the palm of my hand and use only materials in my immediate environment.

Starting Small - Squiggle Project #1 (Day 1)
At the time I started this I was sitting upstairs at Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor & out for an afternoon with my husband.  So, needless to say the materials in my environment were limited.  but luckily Zingerman's leaves their half page ads on the tables.  For this project I actually used half of the half page ad to create a torn paper squiggle design (4"x5" piece of paper) - that fits in the palm of my hand.

This was a very different way to think about my squiggle design process.  It forced me to not only think about the positive space, the line, but also the negative space and technically the two lines that create that space - and do both at the same time.  It's very different from my normal single line process.

I think I will be trying this technique again - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment