Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

A Photographic Adventure

The creative adventure continues... through the lens of the camera!

Happy Hearts
So, there are many coffee shops to be found in Ann Arbor, MI, as some of you may know.  That being said - there are a few that my husband and I frequent more than others and one of them is Espresso Royale Cafe located on Main Street in downtown Ann Arbor.  It's a great little coffee shop with lots of character and great outside seating, for those warm months, to watch the world go by.  All that being said.. one of the other great things they offer is an opportunity for local artists to showcase their art work on a monthly basis.

So, one day when I was in for my usual, white chocolate mocha, I asked about the selection process for the artists.  I was told an artist just needed to let them know they were interested, what type of art they create and talk with the manager.  I inquired a bit further only to find out that the month of May was open (it was the first part of April by the way).  OMG went through my head!  When I initially asked I was thinking like six months down the road because I really wanted to showcase my paintings - which was going to take some time.  So, after some contemplation, I thought - why not hang my photographs?!

Black-Eyed Susans
Photography has been a long time passion, more than 25 years and I love spending time outdoors, so much of my subject matter you will find to be nature related.  Specifically over the past few years I have been taking a pretty extensive collection of photos of flowers and in the past couple I have been creating an annual calendar (using iPhoto) for myself along with family and friends.  So, why not print, frame and showcase some of my favorite and best flower and nature related photographs?  I then confirmed that they were still looking for an artist for the month of May and I decided I was in... so I started the process of narrowing down the collection to 26 prints to fill the allotted space.

I knew this would be an undertaking - including both time and money but said "I'm going to do it".  So, I started researching framing and matting options and was quickly reminded of the number of options available.  I decided in the end to go with archival quality materials and aluminum frames from Frames Destination.  Based on the space I chose to use 8x10 prints framed to 11x14 along with two 16x20's.   When selecting the prints, they needed to be eye-catching and look great enlarged.  I also needed a selection of horizontal and vertical prints and a variety of colors and flowers represented.

So, approximately three weeks later and three hours of hanging prints (with the help of my wonderful husband)... 26 beautiful spring flower/nature photos are now hanging on the wall of Espresso Royale Cafe in Ann Arbor, MI.  If you happen to be in the area during the month of May - stop by for a coffee and check out my photographs.  They can also be found on my website.

Welcome to spring - summer is just around the corner!




2 comments:

  1. These are great photos, Julie. I LOVE the first one alot. What a stunning capture. You really do have a great eye for photography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Alex! Some days I wish I had followed my love of photography - who knows where it would have taken me :-)

    ReplyDelete