Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Creative Side


So, when it comes to that creative side -  I love the simple 'artsy craftsy' projects just as much as the more complex art projects. I love working with my hands and learning a new skill which is what lead me my current business approx. 9 years ago when I started exploring the world of glass painting.  I quickly discovered I was able to take what I was doing with acrylics and canvas and create something fun and truly functional for myself.  This slowly progressed into a small business - Contemporary Complements. My clientele has grown from friends and family to now include the public through a variety of arts shows, retail stores and galleries. My audience is growing, and so are my creations. My goal is for each piece is truly functional for everyday life.

My ultimate dream is to have my own brick and mortar gallery & studio with classroom space.  I want to create and sell my art, sell art created by others and provide a space for others to explore and expand their own creative side through a variety of workshops.  This would bring all of my skills and passions together.

I also love music and movies... I especially love a good 80's mix or watching a good comedy any day!! 

As for books... I don't read a lot but when I do, it usually occurs when I'm in need of a new idea or project or I'm in need of inspiration - which is actually what lead me to this part of my creative process.  I started reading Make Your Creative Dreams Real by SARK and then I picked up 365 - A Daily Creative Journal by Noah Scalin After getting into SARK's book and reading the first 25 pages of Noah's book... I determined I needed to do something to get back in touch with the child who started creating with crayons and plain paper and always wanted to be an artist "when I grew up."  I know for a fact I won't be able to keep up with the "make something every day" but I'm using Noah's 365 book as a tool to think outside of my box a bit.  We'll see where it takes me... let the journey begin!!   

3 comments:

  1. This is exciting, Julie. I can't wait to see more of your work etc. :) So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Julie!! It isn't often that people today get a chance to truly launch themselves into ventures of their dreams ... and you are!

    May 2012 continue to be a year of great learning and growth for you and 'The Creative Side' business of yours!

    I'm cheering you on from up in 'da U.P.:)

    Renée

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee!
      It's been a slow process but I'm making progress in the right direction.
      One step at a time.
      Julie

      Delete